Collect valuable customer insight and move from making decisions based on opinion to data.
An automated Feedback Survey, sent directly to your customers after their purchase, is an effortless way to gather valuable customer insight on all aspects of your business.
With this information, you can understand how your customers feel towards your website, shipping, customer service, range of products and quality of products.
It is important to track customer feedback over time so you can identify the impact of business changes, for example you might alter a product or find a new logistics solution.
In Machine Labs the Feedback survey is set up as an automation for you. It's preset with five quantitative questions, a NPS (Net Promoter Score) asking your customers how likely they are to recommend you and finally, there's a comment box for qualitative feedback. You can find out more about NPS here.
The questions have been written for you and cannot be changed because:
- It is a lot of work to put together a customer survey and ensure the wording is neutral to avoid bias.
- We can compare your scores with other businesses in your industry and with all other Machine Labs users so we will be able to say how well you are performing. If we allowed the questions to be changed, this benchmarking would no longer be valid.
Languages supported by the Feedback Survey
The Feedback Survey will send to your customers in their own language. The languages currently supported are English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Polish and Portuguese. Let us know if there’s a language you need that’s missing.
Locating the Feedback Survey
Within your Machine Labs account, you can find the Feedback Survey in two places:
- In automations - where you can change the sending settings of the survey
- In reports - where you'll find a response breakdown, get an overview of the results for each question, see your survey performance over time and be presented with a word cloud highlighting any words commonly used in the comment box. You can also click in to view each user's individual responses too.
Setting up the Feedback Survey
- In your Machine Labs account click on Automations and select the Feedback Survey theme. Once your Feedback Survey or any other automations are active they will appear at the top of the page.
- Here you can change 3 settings:
- Your sender identity - the name and email address that the feedback survey will send from.
- When the Feedback Survey will send i.e. how many days after the customer's first purchase. This will be different for each store owner as it depends largely on how long delivery takes. To collect accurate feedback you want your customer to have received their item(s) before filling out the survey.
- Your customer service email address. On the final stage of our feedback survey we ask the customer if they have any additional comments. There is also a tick box enabling a customer to request a response to their comments. When this box is ticked, Machine Labs sends an email to your customer services email address to inform you. If you have a support system in place, this will open a ticket for your customer services team to respond to.
Once you're happy with your selections click save and continue.
- Now you can view your automation workflow, preview the email and preview the feedback survey.
The email explained
The email inviting your customers to complete the feed back survey will automatically populate with your brand's information.
To highlight that the survey has come from a trusted third party, "Powered by Machine Labs" is at the bottom of the automation. You will receive more honest responses that way.
The email content is fixed, you cannot edit it. The reason for this is because if you change the text for example by adding "I really hope you like our company, please give us top marks!" or by offering a discount code for completing the survey, your customer's answers are more likely to be positive. This would mean that the data is skewed and we could no longer accurately benchmark your results with other Machine Labs users in your industry.
This way, the email is fair, unbiased and identical for all Machine Labs users.
The Feedback Survey explained
The Feedback Survey asks your customers to rate their experience of your website, shipping and delivery, efficiency of customer service, product selection and purchase. Question 6 collects your net promoter score (NPS).
If your customers choose to give more detailed qualitative feedback in the comment box in question 7, should they require a response to their comments you will receive an automatic email to your customer services email address alerting you to their comments.
Once you've got to grips with the Feedback Survey and are happy to activate the automation, click save and enable.
Understanding the Feedback Survey report
In your Machine Labs account the Feedback survey results are located within Reports.
In the top section you are given a breakdown of your Feedback Survey results - in an ideal world this bar will be mostly green, with positive responses.
Each question is also broken down to show you the average scores of all survey responses collected each month, for the past six months.
The answers scale from -100 to +100, as followers:
- Strongly disagree = -100
- Disagree = -50
- Neutral = 0
- Agree = +50
- Strongly agree = +100
A good store will always have an average of 0+ but you should aim to have an average of 50+.
The word cloud
Any frequently used words left within the comment box in the Feedback Survey are presented in a word cloud. This will give you an instant overview of any common issues or positive elements experienced by your customers.
The performance of your Feedback Survey is displayed for the current month, color coded for each question. As you make business improvements based on customer feedback, your scores should increase.
At the bottom of your Feedback Survey report, you can view the results broken down into months.
Click each month to view the individual responses within it.
Click on view comment to generate a pop-up presenting each customer's full answers, alongside any comments they left.
If you need to respond to the customer's comments you will be alerted via email.
I have more questions, can I ask a real person?
Of course! Send an email to email@example.com. We'll be happy to answer any queries you might have within 48 hours (and often much sooner). Alternatively, use the live chat function in the bottom right hand corner of this page.